Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Phunny Bunny The Ronin- Art Trade


One of the many items that was on my incredibly long list of things to do, was an art trade piece for Udon Comics mega artist Edwin Huang.

When we first met up at Otakon last year, we hit it off, and thus set up an art trade. After nearly a year's wait, this is me making good on my half of the agreement. Edwin really seemed to like the final results, and with his permission, I'm sharing it with you all now.

As I'm sure you can already tell, I had an absolute blast working on this one. Most of my efforts were in trying to evoke that awesome sensation of movement and dynamics that Edwin puts into all of his pieces, and while I think I may have captured some of that essence, I'm especially satisfied more so with how her hair came out. I've come to the conclusion that from now on I'm going to use only water colored pencils to do hair, as I feel they give me the best textures and colors for a more tangible follicle styling. Detailing the ears, while somewhat tedious to an extent, was also immensely enjoyable, and personally may be my favorite part of the image, outside of the mop of hair on Phunny Bunny's head. The colored background was meant to look like a sort of typical anime-esque energy wave cascading around her, but if anything else, I'd like to think it just makes the image pop that much more to the eye.

Much to my dismay though, my scanner does seem to pick up on a lot of the marker strokes, making them look pretty obvious here. Trust me when I say the color blends look a lot better in person. I'm also sorry that this seemingly took an internet century in forever land do to, as I could only afford to work on it in between all my regular job hrs. and my commission list pieces (which are all progressively getting done as you'll soon see) so I'll extend my apologies to Edwin for the exceedingly protracted delay. All I really just wanted to do was give you something that would impress you my friend...

Materials used were: Copic Markers, Water-Color Pencils for the hair, Faber pens for the inks, and a custom 11 x 17 in. board.

No comments:

Post a Comment