Tuesday, February 25, 2014

In Memoriam- R.I.P. Harold Ramis

Harold Ramis: November 21, 1944 - February 24, 2014 
On February 24, 2014 comedy actor, writer, and director Harold Ramis (at the age of 69) passed away due to complications of his autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis. He is survived by his wife Erica and their three children.

As time presses on, it can be pretty tough to watch reality turn our heroes into mere humans, or to find that the world is not as fantastic a place as we once thought as children. There is no Man in the Moon, nor is the moon made out of cheese. Harold Ramis is not Egon Spengler, he never was. Egon has always just been a work of fiction.

Whether we like it or not, our dreams eventually are subverted by the harshness of an indifferent reality.

What can one truly say of a person who's work went on to not only define an entire decade, but also influence an entire generation? Perhaps there really isn't anything much to say except what that one person's work meant to you.

When I saw the news of Mr. Ramis' death, I had a revelation about Ghostbusters upon some deeper reflection. Just being a forerunner franchise in the 80's and early 90's wasn't this pictures's most important contribution to its fans.

This was a story that taught us all, and encouraged us all to keep dreaming in spite of the odds. In the world of Ghostbusters, four ordinary men enter a world of mystery and the unknown because they refused to be bent to the oppressive social structures existing around them.

When the world told Peter Venkman, Raymond Stanz, Egon Spengler, and Winston Zeddemore to stop dreaming, they kept on dreaming; they kept going. They didn't allow themselves to become jaded, cynical individuals like the Sedgewick Hotel manager or Walter Peck.

Through Dan Aykrod's and Harold Ramis' impeccable writing, this mere work of fluffy, fun, fiction was subtly telling all those who watched it that being a Ghostbuster means more than just catching errant spirits or demi-gods named Zuul. Being a Ghostbuster is the very essence of what it means to be a dreamer at heart, a visionary, someone who forges their own path despite the naysayers and critics.

Ghostbuster is without a shadow of a doubt one of my all-time favorite movies. I can't remember a point (if or when) that I wasn't a fan of Ghostbusters, or the sequel for that matter. As far as my memory (which is pretty good) allows, I've always loved those films, even as an infant. It's because of that adoration that I think that I have a fairly safe assessment about those flicks. Ghostbusters  had contributed significantly to helping me form not only the sense of humor I have today, but also my staunch refusal to ever give up on my dreams.

This isn't a statement that I throw out there lightly either. Ghostbusters ignited a spark in me that only a few other franchises ever could. As an aspiring artist/writer I still find myself looking back to the Ghostbusters films for inspiration to this very day. Of course my love for Mr. Ramis' work isn't just for the likes of Ghostbusters; it extends well into his filmography. Animal House, Caddyshack, Stripes, and Groundhog Day are all timeless classics that I turn to whenever I'm in need of a good and hearty laugh.

They say that laughter is the language of the soul, for it is something all people speak. That dreams are a melody we all dance to. If that is the case than Mr. Ramis spoke constantly to not only me, but to people like me the world over for years. Knowing that he is no longer with us I'm sure has made the laughter in us all grow just a little quiet, but we also know that the laughter will eventually return. Harold Ramis has left behind a phenomenal legacy of enjoyment none can ever deny, and through that legacy we will all hopefully continue to dream.

Forever a Ghostbuster! 


God Speed sir!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment