Thursday, September 3, 2015

Will You Continue?- Editorial

For some right now this is a hard question to answer.
If you're like me, and you proudly consider yourself a gamer, it's probably been a bit of a rough year for you. I know it certainly has been for me, all of my personal circumstances aside and not withstanding. Seeing the divide that has formed in not only gaming culture, but more so geek culture as a whole, has been an almost unbearable sight to behold for me at times. I am of course talking about #Gamergate vs SJWs...

It seems like no matter where I turn in this last year, something somewhere is rife with a "controversy" to one degree or another. While some of them are justifiable (such as the recent Konami controversies) most of them are innocuous situations where someone is declaring something to be a "problematic" or "undesireable" aspect to the community that must be eliminated, lest it stain everything forever. Whether it's in the realm of comics, movies, literature, games, etc. It's always the same now, someone/some group somewhere is apparently offended, or just "mad as hell and isn't going to take it anymore."

Now I'm not here to pick sides and say who is "right" in regards to this divide/debate in gaming. Everything that's going on right now is somewhat subjective and a bit too complex and nuanced at this point to sum up shortly here without having to go into the ninth degree about it. To be quite honest, the only stance I have in the matter is simply my own. I don't speak for anyone else in the slightest.

Am I upset about the articles declaring gamers dead? You can bet your gaming fund I was. Do I feel that gaming journalism needs to make major overhauls in regards to ethics? I won't argue that for a second. But I don't need to identify with a hashtag to know that these things are problems. I've personally felt that these were issues well before #Gamergate ever existed. In fact, I think everyone involved in the whole #Gamergate situation needs to take a moment to realize that #Gamergate isn't an identity, it's a conversation. Or at least an attempt at one when it isn't being censored. About the only area where my stance is clear and unwavering is with that of freedom of expression/creativity. I'll always stand with the principle that an artist has the right to create/express whatever it is that's in their heart, and everyone else has the right to say how that work makes them feel. Demanding that someone change their vision to suit you, or that someone's personal opinion isn't the "correct" opinion (i.e. committing the crime of wrong-think) is intellectually dishonest in my eyes. Whatever your position, you don't have the right to control art or people's perceptions of it.

No one does. 

Regardless of my own position, all I've seen this situation serve is to make it seem like there isn't much available to enjoy these days. Apparently everything out there is something worthy of being outraged over due to some ideologically driven infraction (that is either real or perceived) and it's just mentally exhausting anymore to those still paying attention. I honestly don't mean to come off as cynical here, but I have to wonder if this is just a result of growing-pains tied to the information age, or if this is just the price we as a society must collectively pay for indulging in something like social media in the first place.

Exactly one year ago I made a post on this blog sharing my thoughts and feelings (and even some fairly sensitive details on my past) about why I lovingly embrace the term "gamer." I broke away from one of my rules on this blog (in regards to keeping things fun) and I'm pretty much doing the same here again. Since last year I've quietly reflected on my words, and have watched (sometimes with much horror) as essentially all of my hobbies that I'm passionate about are hit by this seemingly endless barrage of slanderous blows from mainstream media. Every message comes off more worse than the last about how all of this stuff is apparently "bad for you." Seeing claims that videogames cause violence/enforce misogyny, to an episode of Law and Order that was dedicated to outright demonizing gamers can be pretty disheartening to those who aren't prepared for it. It's been a rough ride and a bitter cup to say the least.

As a lover and consumer of such things I have to wonder if I'm somehow an exception then to these evil product's inherently corruptible powers. I've been playing videogames, reading comic books, and watching anime/movies practically all of my life. You'd think going by some of the statements made that I should probably be in prison, or at minimum some sort of social reprobate by now. Even though I haven't once done something that could possibly/remotely be construed as sexist, racist, or violent to my fellow human beings. Due to my interests though (apparently along with my race/gender) I'm fundamentally being called all of that along with many others who embrace the gamer identity. I was raised to judge others by the content of their character, and the quality of their actions, not by any of the superficial stigmas that populate and fuel the zeitgeists today. In spite of the copious amounts of evidence provided stating to the contrary about geek culture, the moral authorities with all of their influence judge and define us all by these very same superficial stigmas, which many of us have tried desperately to put in a much better forgotten past.

Of course I do understand why some of these statements have been made. There will always be those folks on the fringe that feed into the negative stereotypes for any group, and there are definitely some bad apples in regards to gaming wandering about. Those who would think to issue death threats, harass, or throw false information do exist, but are certainly no friends of mine, let alone any gamers I know. At some point I think the media seems to have forgotten that these guys are the minority.

In my own personal experience I don't think I've ever found a more diverse, intelligent, and all around accepting group of people than gamers. Since my very first convention I've never found myself at any time not being welcomed with open arms, and dammit, that's gotta count for something! Geeks from all over have always judged me purely on my own merit, and frankly I wouldn't change that for the world. There isn't one friend I have today who I didn't find through being a gamer geek in some way.  When I was in a nasty situation a couple of years ago at Gencon, it was gamers (a lot of them complete strangers too mind you) who came together and helped my friends and I make the best of an incredibly crappy situation. How can so much good that has come into my life stem from something that's supposedly so very very bad? Just because we can be socially awkward at times and don't exactly fit into "the normal folk" category doesn't mean that we don't have feelings too. Witnessing the sort of stuff being said today undoubtedly hurts many of us, myself included.

As much as I've felt that I could just walk away from geekdom altogether in this past year because the hate has become too much to handle, I'm just too passionate about it all to turn my back. I think about all that I've been through, all the friends I've made, and everything that means to me. I think about those who aren't as old as me, the young gamers who are just coming into their own, and the community that's being left to them. Quite frankly I'd be doing a disservice to not only myself by walking away, I'd be doing a disservice to them too. They deserve all the opportunities I had and then some; to experience the vast array of games and other media without fear of shame. To be able to make the choice of what they want to enjoy for themselves and not from some moral authority. 

What I'm ultimately driving at here is that the rift that has formed in gaming (and seemingly everywhere else) is one that could have been avoided (and unfortunately wasn't) but can still be repaired. We have a culture of fear that's formed now, where artists/creators are afraid to express themselves, and consumers are afraid to say how they feel. I can certainly say that it's had me scared to speak up, because I don't want to get fired simply for not having the right opinion.

This isn't how it should be, and I think we're all aware of that on some level deep down. I know I'm just one guy with a blog and an opinion (and I sure as hell don't have all the answers on how to fix this situation) but I think after a whole year of arguing, a dialogue has got to start to form. Gaming and geek culture won't be able to move forward in good stride until we recognize that both sides have their respective failings, and their respective points. Should the gaming journalists/mainstream media apologize for the slanderous accusations thrown? For declaring an identity dead? For not adhering to a higher ethical standard? Most certainly they should. Could we as gamers realize that we don't need to loose our collective shit when someone makes a joke about Let's Plays, or when something doesn't go exactly how we want it to? That we don't have to scream and shout so much to honestly make/get a point across? Sure we could... 
But that's just me...

No comments:

Post a Comment