Wednesday, August 30, 2017

The Mane 6- Fan Art

Power-Lifter Apple Jack
Animal Care-Taker Fluttershy
Major League Gamer Pinkie Pie
Dare-Devil Rainbow Dash
Lounge-Singer Rarity
General Twilight Sparkle


During my time at Bronycon 2017 I had the distinct honor and pleasure of being a part of the Roan RPG booth, where I took the liberty of creating/selling some custom pieces of the "Mane 6" characters from the cartoon show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

My idea going into the image series was that the characters would not only be in human form, but would be working modern jobs that were fitting to their character. Of course, I always feel like I have to be somewhat subversive, so I tried to think of them being outside some of the more obvious vocations for them to have.

While I'm somewhat pleased overall with the final results (as each picture's composition I enjoyed rendering) I also fundamentally think I didn't do the best job exactly of evoking the concept for some of the characters.

For instance, Apple Jack (who I initially envisioned as a power-lifter) just looks like a cowboy-themed fitness model. Twilight was supposed to be a cute government official who honestly just looks more like a stereotypical "sexy secretary" trope, and Fluttershy is simply a woman with a puppy, that I originally intended to be a park ranger.

I guess this just goes to show that while an image can be fun to create, not every idea manifests onto the page flawlessly.

There is another series of images I'm currently working on that I think more effectively embodies the concept that I'll be sharing soon.

Materials used were Micron pens, and Copic/Prismacolor markers on custom cut 3.5 x 5 in. bristol board.

No comments:

Post a Comment